Tuesday, October 21, 2008

No other words

For the record, I did have an unpleasant run-in over homecoming. Oh well, life goes on.
I've recently become engrossed in the quotes of Kurt Vonnegut. He was an amazing man. So far I've read Slapstick, Breakfast of Champions, Slaughterhouse Five, and Cat's Cradle. I'm about 1/3 done with a short story collection: Bagombo Snuffbox.
Here are some of the quotes I'm talking about:

True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.

Still and all, why bother? Here's my answer. Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.

People don't come to church for preachments, of course, but to daydream about God.

Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter could be said to remedy anything. (from Cat's Cradle)

If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind.

I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center. (from Slaughterhouse Five)

Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.

Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt. (from Slaughterhouse Five)

Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why. (from Slaughterhouse Five)

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC

A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.

So it goes. (from Slaughterhouse Five)

Charm was a scheme for making strangers like and trust a person immediately, no matter what the charmer had in mind. I can have oodles of charm when I want to. (from Breakfast of Champions)

Teachers of children in the United States of America wrote this date on blackboards again and again, and asked the children to memorize it with pride and joy: 1492. The teachers told the children that this was when their continent was discovered by human beings. Actually, millions of human beings were already living full and imaginative lives on the continent in 1492. That was simply the year in which sea pirates began to cheat and rob and kill them. (from Breakfast of Champions)

Like most science-fiction writers, Trout knew almost nothing about science. (from Breakfast of Champions)

Our awareness is all that is alive and maybe sacred in any of us. Everything else about us is dead machinery. (from Breakfast of Champions)

If you can do no good, at least do no harm. (from Slapstick)

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order, so they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say. (from Cat's Cradle)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind.

i like that one the best :D